Apr 13, 2014

Pain is necessary, suffering is optional.

When I first saw London Marathon's map, wondered how on Earth am I going to move that day, since it's basically by my house.

Woke up today knowing I'm going to see it, although I had no burning desire nor was in a very olympic mood. I needed milk.

I was sure I was going to take some pictures, instagram them, get milk and go home. Got there, found a good spot, took some pictures and it started to come to me. My spot is pretty close to the finish line. But for runners who made it this far, pretty far away. And you see it not in the first 3 hours but after 5 hours in the competition. They almost walk, but they are not stopping.

And it hit me.

Awe, because I've always admired athletes. And my, a marathon is quite a distance. I've always wondered what went throught Phidippides's brain while he did it. What really drove him. Cause back then Nike was just a goddess not something you put your feet in and go train for a marathon.

And for people who run or do any kind of sport, even for short distances, you know how hard it is to tame your brain into doing just another lap. 

And then I felt envious for every single person I saw running today. Because when they cross that line, they will feel, today, a week from now, a month from now, that they can do anything on this planet. That, through hard work, will power and discipline they can achieve anything. At a slower or faster pace. And I remembered how it felt when I did swimming competitions. There was no pleasure there. It was hard work, determination and faith that got me pass the finish line. But life was simple. Good. It had bubbly at the end of the day.

I felt envious for the smiles on their faces when they're going to finish, for their quiet sleep tonight, for the meal that's going to taste like heaven. 

And then I felt humble and inspired. So for every person, superhero and building that did the London Marathon today, I humbly thank you for reminding me that we all run. It's about deciding if we run for or from something. You've been amazing, thank you.


























Title of this post taken from Haruki Murakami's book: What I talk when I talk about running.


No comments: